Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 1995 18:09:27 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

>> The problem with KOI-8 is that KOI-8 is a defacto standard, and is not
>> accepted by international standards bodies.  Mostly because the most
>> popular BBS software in the area picked it up instead of 8859-9.
>
>The X Consortium finally agreed to accept koi8-r as a valid character
>set/encoding.
>
>:-)

What the X Consortium did was to accept The XFree86 Project's request
to register the charset/encoding KOI8-R.  I don't think it implies
any more than that.  There are a lot of unusual or vendor-specific
chareset/encodings registered with them -- take a look in the xc/registry
file.

If they ship Cyrillic fonts with their next release, they've indicated
(to me at least) that their preference is to use the ISO8859-5 encoding.

What XFree86 would like to do in the next release, if possible, is allow
the Cyrillic fonts to be built with either KOI8-R or ISO8859-5 encodings.

David