Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2001 17:37:40 +0200
From:      Morsal Roudbay <morsal@swipnet.se>
To:        dave <leimbacd@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adding RAM and the result

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 08:39:24PM -0500, dave wrote:
> On Sunday 02 September 2001 08:11 pm, Morsal Roudbay wrote:
> > Hi
> > Right now I have a dual 300 MHz server running FBSD 4.3 with 128MB RAM... I
> > am considering to upgrade the RAM to 1GB..
> >
> > Is this a good idea or should I spend the money on a new CPU instead?
> >
> > I often compile several ports at the same time and I run many
> > X-applications. I use this server for network stability testing too...
> > (running several rain processes that eat lots of RAM) Oh, forgot to mention
> > that it's a web, mysql, mail and DNS server too. :)
> >
> > (faster compile times is probably priority no 1)
> >

> It wouldn't hurt to upgrade the disks either.  compiling can be I/O intensive.
> Try make -j2 just to see if stuff builds any faster.  Since you have 2 CPU's
> this shouldn't put undue burden on the machine.  You may want to go to -j4
> who knows.  Experiment a little.  The number after the j is how many makes to
> spawn.  It gives you the better chance to overlap CPU and I/O to the disk and
> thusly increase your compile "bandwidth or throughput" [don't use those
> terms...:)]

running BSD make with the -j options doesnt always work... some ports dont
compile when u use it... :( But I tried it and it is faster as long as the
port doesnt nag... :)

> If speed is your worry I would update the CPU.  I have 256 MB of RAM on a
> Duron 800 currently running FBSD 4.4-rc1 and things are very good.  My major
> bottleneck is disk speed which I plan to increase by enabling softupdates
> soon.

Faster disks would certainly help I think but then I dont have a ATA66
controller. (the new IBM drive (IDE) is limited when u run it with
ATA33)

> By the way anything after 4.3 release should have a "tuning" man page that
> may have other little tips and tricks to making the most of your system.

I've changed the kernel parameters for maximum performance in a network
environment but now I've reached a point where I want more... (hardware upgrade
needed)  :)

Morsal