Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 11:10:53 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        scott@statsci.com
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, nate@mt.sri.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

Scott Blachowicz stands accused of saying:

> "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> wrote:
>
> > The only thing I can figure out was that someone found AMD's path
> > mangling to be non-intuitive (though functional) or something and
> > figured they'd substitite in the value of $PWD.  I can think of no
> > other reason for it
>
> It is extra information which, if valid, gives an idea of how the user of
> the makefile views the world/file systems around.  Chances are that, if an
> automounter is used and $PWD does indeed point to the current directory,

"chances are" is not good enough, and expecting 'PWD' to be set to anything
sensible at all is just stupid.

The comment re: .PATH problems (Nate?) is valid though; but using paths
relative to anything other than the root of the source tree in .PATH
is also stupid. (but convenient)

For "normal user traversal", the tree should appear as expected going
down, but may not going back up (for whatever reason).

Attempting to kludge 'make' so that it can go back up is not the Right
Way to handle this.