Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 08:03:44 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiport NICs

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Jeff Lynch wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Jeff Lynch wrote:
> >
> > > I seem to remember some of you using Zynx multiport NICs. Are you
> > > using the ZX346 with the de driver? I'm using FBSD2.2.1.
> >
> > Sure, should work; I have had one working under FreeBSD.  There are two
> > versions of the 346, as I recall.  One is physically larger and one is
> > smaller.  You will probably need to download an updated de driver from
> > http://www.3am-software.com/ to make it work properly.
>
> Hmmm. This is a production machine. I can't take time to do this
> the "right" way. I need to powerdown, switch my smc single port (de)
> with the multi-port and get back up within 2 minutes or less. Therefore,
> if there is an older card, know to run with the de driver in FBSD2.2.1
> would be better this time. Apparently the ZX314 is the one according
> to Ulf.

If you can find one.  However, the 314 isn't made any more (Znyx may still
be shipping a few though) and even newer versions of the 314 may not work
anyway with the old driver, since DEC has made various chipset changes.

It doesn't take any more downtime to install a new driver while
recompiling your kernel as long as you make it work.  Surely you have a
machine somewhere you can test it on first.