Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 1996 23:58:29 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        ywliu <team_fbf@pristine.com.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD4.4, Lite, Lite-2

>As I browsing the book "The Design and Implementaton of the 4.4BSD Operating
>System", I noticed there is a chart explaining the Unix history. Unlike
>other OS books, it covers BSD4.4 (of course) and I noticed there are
>4.4BSD, 4.4BSD Lite-1, 4.4BSD Lite-2.
>
>What's the difference among them ? I seem to have the impression that
>Lite-1 is 4.4BSD without some VM codes. Am I correct ? What about Lite-2 ?

   4.4BSD is the encumbered version that contains some USL code - execve(),
certain parts of the tty code, a few other things (none having to do with VM,
however). 4.4BSD-lite is 4.4BSD without the encumbered stuff. 4.4BSD-lite2
is an update to 4.4BSD-lite. FreeBSD is based on 4.4BSD-lite with the missing
stuff written from scratch plus many major improvements and additions (this
is probably an understatement :-)).

-DG

David Greenman