Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:50:57 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recent 6.1-PRE: burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCFIXATE): Input/output error

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 04:27:13PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> In my case, the CD burns without problem however, I get that error.
> Googling found me a few other people with a similar issue.  Have you
> tried the CD afterwords to see if it works anyway?

Well, as I showed in my original message, I was able to mount the CD as
a cd9660 file system, so it appears to work.

> Out of curiosity, is it a Plextor drive, I think everyone who had a
> problem was running into it with Plextors.

Well, /var/run/dmesg.boot says:

acd0: setting PIO4 on ICH3 chip
acd0: setting UDMA33 on ICH3 chip
acd0: <HL-DT-STCD-RW/DVD-ROM GCC-4241N/A100> CDRW drive at ata0 as slave
acd0: read 4134KB/s (4134KB/s) write 4134KB/s (4134KB/s), 2048KB buffer, UDMA33
acd0: Reads: CDR, CDRW, CDDA stream, DVDROM, DVDR, packet
acd0: Writes: CDR, CDRW, test write, burnproof
acd0: Audio: play, 256 volume levels
acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray, unlocked
acd0: Medium: no/blank disc

And atacontrol says:

Password:
ATA channel 0:
    Master:  ad0 <HTS548040M9AT00/MG2OA50A> ATA/ATAPI revision 6
    Slave:  acd0 <HL-DT-STCD-RW/DVD-ROM GCC-4241N/A100> ATA/ATAPI
revision 5
ATA channel 1:
    Master:      no device present
    Slave:       no device present
localhost(6.1-P)[4]

(Why the laptop was set up so that both devices are on the same channel,
I doubt I'll ever know.)

> Some people, like myself, only get the annoying error message and
> everything is fine, others find that it doesn't work at all.

OK; well, I s'pose it's some small comfort to be aware that I'm not the
only one seeing the apparent issue....  :-}

I could boot from a different slice, and exercise 7-CURRENT (from
yesterday -- I didn't have time to build today's -CURRENT yet), if that
might help.

Peace,
david
Mail filters, like sewers, need to be most restrictive at the point of entry.