Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:34:38 -0400
From:      "C. Ulrich" <dincht@securenym.net>
To:        Bryan Cassidy <b_cassidy@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.8 v/s 5.1

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 03:51, Bryan Cassidy wrote:

> I was just wondering what people on the list thought. I don't want to
> know any details on which is better or whatever just in general which is
> better for whatever reasons people use it.

Short answer: use 4.8 for anything remotely critical such as a firewall,
web server, etc, especially if it's going to talk to the outside world
and/or uptime is important. That's why they call it 4.8-STABLE. For
learning purposes or a personal system that you don't mind tinkering
with every now and again, you might as well go with 5.1. For what it's
worth, most releases that aren't necessarily -STABLE are plenty stable
enough for normal use. They just aren't officially supported by the
FreeBSD team if you run into a snag. See the handbook and/or FAQ for
more info.

C. Ulrich
--
http://bityard.net