Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 13:16:36 -0600
From:      Keith Ray <rayk@sugar-land.spc.slb.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ssh timeouts & ipfw dyn_ack_lifetime

I am having a problem with ssh sessions from my windows box to my freebsd
box timing out after a number of idle minutes.  SecureCRT still shows a
valid connection until I try to type some keys, and then after a minute it
says "connecton reset".  I believe I have isolated the problem to the ipfw
firewall timing out the connection.  I am currently using dynamic rules
such as:

add check-state
add reset tcp from any to {myip} established
add reset tcp from {myip} to any established
add allow tcp from any to {myip} ssh setup keep-state

The sysctl variable net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_ack_lifetime seems to be responsible
for this, but I only want to set a very large lifetime for things like
ssh.  Is it possible to disable automatic timeouts or make long timeouts on
a rule-by-rule basis?  Or perhaps a way to keep the dynamic rule alive as
long as the connection is alive?