Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 12:25:13 +1000 (EST)
From:      HMG coA reductase <s_koyin@eduserv.its.unimelb.EDU.AU>
To:        Paul Walsh <paul@nation-net.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing a fips partition with fdisk

NO! don't remove the existing DOS partition!

i believe, if you have the complete set of FIPS utilities, you can
actually restore your original big partition that was split, if you had
made a backup of the partition table and boot record on a floppy. can't
remember the name of that program, but it's definitely in the CD-ROM
inside the directory that contains the full FIPS sources and executables.
perhaps someone out there could look in the installation CD and supply
the full pathname...

ivan

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Paul Walsh wrote:

> Would this be safe to do?
>
> My disk has a 2nd dos and 1 freeBSD partition, both created with fips. Now I
> want to lose the extra fips dos partition and hopefully reclaim it back in
> the original dos partition!
>
> Fips won't let me do this , so is it OK to use fdisk?
>
> (I know how easy it is to lose file systems playing with fips.)
>

> AND, what would be the best way to set up a mirror drive for use in
> emergencies? Since it would have to be bootable and essentially an exact copy
>  is this possible with the mirror package ( whose name I forget ) Could I
> dump straight onto a second drive, once I have done a minimum install?

i dunno about mirrors.