Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:55:23 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Usage of resources.

Jorge Biquez wrote:

> Hello Bill.
>
> My sites responses are very good and yes , that info is the typical one.
> I'm just thinking on having the fastest server with that configuration.
> That's why I'm wondering what can I do to increase performance.

I think the computer you described will perform very well under heavy
load. But a few things you can do:
1. Make sure you only have daemons running that you need.
2. Make sure the log directories are mounted either softupdates or async
3. Keep the web pages/graphics small and fast

Beyond that, it's hard to advise until things start bogging down. When
that happens, use the various system utilities (systat, top, etc) to
find out where the bottleneck is and handle it. Depending on the exact
nature of your site, the bottleneck will be in different places compared
to other people.
If the thing get's really loaded you may need to get multiple web
servers with a load-balancing front end or something. Thats the extreme
case.

-Bill