Date:      Thu, 18 Aug 2016 16:06:38 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Jonathan Stewart <jonathan@kc8onw.net>
Cc:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lexar flash drive dead?

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016, Jonathan Stewart wrote:

> The device is still present but dd gives me the following.
> storage% sudo dd if=/dev/da4 of=/testdump.bin
> dd: /dev/da4: Device not configured
> 0+0 records in
> 0+0 records out
> 0 bytes transferred in 0.001363 secs (0 bytes/sec)
>
> My best guess (assuming the error is accurate) is that I cracked the BGA
> array and the controller chip is fine but it can't talk to the flash chip. In
> which case a recovery company can probably either remount it or dismount it
> and read it externally I hope. Damned expensive though most likely.

Is that one of the USB3 versions?  I have one of those, a Lexar S55 that
gets burning hot during USB3 transfers.  Data transfer is fast for a
little while, then suddenly slows down as the buffer is filled or a
built-in temperature sensor throttles it back.  Oddly enough, a 32G S75
goes as fast but gets only warm.

It might still work on a USB2 port, if it is a thermal issue.