Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 03:05:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@nike.efn.org>
To:        "David E. O'Brien" <obrien@Nuxi.cs.ucdavis.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port of su2

On Thu, 12 Sep 1996, David E. O'Brien wrote:

> > > suggest you get almost any existing port and follow its example.  Also,
> > > take a glance at /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk.  It is *very* readable as
> > > makefiles go.
> >
> > I've read this 3 times and still can't figure out if it's very thinly
> > veiled sarcasm or not. :-)
>
> No sarcasm at all.  It has *tons* of clear readable comments.  I wish
> every complex Makefile I've ever had to read was this well laid out and
> commented.  There is no need for special documentation of the predefined
> symbols, because they are so easy to find (along with their intended
> use).  bsd.port.mk is a model for other complext development projects to
> follow.

I'm not sure this is the place to mention it... but I was looking/workingo
n porting another program and they use RPM to do it...  (you can't even
get it to compile easily... and it looks like hell to get it to
compile)...  they are trying to make it as a all platform packaging
device...

well... I was thinking about possible including other os's in the ports
database... i.e. add new patches-systemtype directories for the other
systems.. and of course keeping patches for freebsd..

> The "as makefiles go" means, yes, you still have to know some basic
> Makefile syntax to understand what it is doing -- but not really that
> much (especially since there aren't any implicit targets and things like
> $*,$<, etc used).

I just LOVE the bsd.xxx.mk files...  I can't think of why people would
want to use anything else :)  ttyl...

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)