Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 2009 23:06:40 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, obrien@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r187132 - head/usr.bin/make

At 3:42 PM -0700 2/2/09, M. Warner Losh wrote:
>[...] However, I think that it is a moot point since
>       (a) I've backed out the change and
>       (b) the output is currently wrong.
>
>As to (b): Consider the following Makefile:
>
>all: one two three four
>
>one two three four:
>	@echo ${.TARGET}
>	@echo ${.TARGET}
>	@echo ${.TARGET}
>	@echo ${.TARGET}
>
>Right now, we get useless output from these job markers:
>
>% make -j 3 all
>--- one ---
>--- two ---
>--- three ---
>one
>one
>one
>--- one ---
>one
>two
>two
>two
>--- two ---
>two
>three
>three
>three
>--- three ---
>three
>--- four ---
>four
>four
>four
>four
>
>Based on this, I'd suggest we turn them off until we can at least
>produce good results.  I don't know if we want them on by default
>with good results, but we certainly want them off when they are
>generating bad results.

It looks like the extra output assumes that each target is
producing just a single line of output.  That's pretty much what
I expected would happen, and if so then the extra output doesn't
really help all that much when it comes to debugging 'make -j'.

I've looked around my various machines, and much to my surprise I
think I found some debugging-changes I made to 'make' back in
2003/2004.  These changes helped me understand some problems we
were having with 'crunchgen' vs 'make -j' at the time.  Let me
see if I can figure out what the changes are doing, update them
to the latest version of 'make', and see if people find those to
be interesting.  I might not have the time to do that until this
weekend, though.

(and just to make things more interesting, it seems I've found
multiple versions of my changes...  Arg.)

I do remember the changes needed some more work before they'd be
generally-wonderful, which is why I didn't try to commit them at
the time.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =               drosehn@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org