Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 18:14:45 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using space in a DOS filesystem

Bruce Evans stands accused of saying:
> >But if the slab _is_ the boot device, how do we read the tools from it?
>
> With difficulty.  Don't boot from it.

That more or less rules that approach out completely.  We're trying to
do an ersatz partition that can do everything a "real" partition does.
That's going to have to include booting.

> It would be relatively easy to check the partition once you have located
> it.  You might be able to boot from the DOS file system, run some
> utilities, mount an mfs root and create vn devices on it, mount the vn
> file, and chroot() to a nicer file system.  I don't want the utilities
> for this in the kernel.

I can understand that.  How would you feel about being able to recognise
one of these ersatz partitions if the info were passed in to the kernel
at bootstrap time?

> Bruce

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[