Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 1996 10:14:56 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        g854203@oz.nthu.edu.tw (tfcheng)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: An emacs problem!

As tfcheng wrote:

> 	I am a green hand in emacs, I find out some tiny bugs
> in emacs that I use, first, I have installed linuxls -o function,
> but this isn't working in emacs, and some anomalous codes appear;

Well, now you at least know why linuxls sucks. :) It blindly assumes
an ANSI-color capable terminal, regardless of you terminal setting.
Emacs apparently doesn't support ANSI escape sequences in its shell
window, and it deliberately sets the $TERM variable to "emacs" to
indicate this.  If linuxls would parse the color termcap entries to
derive the available colors, it would also work correctly (i.e.,
without colors) in the Emacs shell window.

> second, I cannot compile my fortran code under emacs, it says "this
> file dosen't exist", after I specify the route /?/?, the compilation
> works,

Sorry, i cannot parse this.  How and where did you try compiling it?
In the shell window?  With M-x compile?  I have never worked much with
FORTRAN for the recent 12 or so years.  Anyway, M-x compile simply
calls `make', so as long as your Makefile knows how to handle FORTRAN,
i don't see why it should not be available from within Emacs.

--
cheers, J"org