Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 21:35:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      - - <freebsd_stuff@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installing third party software

Hi all,

This is a basic question but I've been wondering for
quite a while, so I'll just fire it away in this list.

When I install third party software, say the apache
server or jdk etc..., where should I install them?
Some book say, if I remember correctly, all
system-wide programs should be installed under
/usr/local.  But some people tell me that install them
in wherever it has the most HD space.  What is the
convention used in the real-life?  I'm confused.  Any
of your opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
kero