Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 01:54:35 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, marcel@freebsd.org, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, peter@freebsd.org, bde@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel/loader & world

Well, once I discarded my preconceptions and re-read the error
message, the problem is obvious:

In file included from
/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/libi386/../../../sys/signal.h:236,
                 from
/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/libi386/../../../sys/param.h:90,
                 from
/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/libi386/aout_freebsd.c:29:
/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/libi386/../../../sys/ucontext.h:34:
machine/ucontext.h: No such file or directory

We include the files directly from the source tree, but some of them
then go and include files from <machine/*>, which, of course, refers
to /usr/include/machine/*. Thus, some of the files are up-to-date,
and some are not. Unless you build world first.

[but you can't build world until you booted a new kernel, and you
can't boot a new kernel until you have a new loader, but you can't
build a new loader...]

On the gripping hand, this is boot/i386, but we cannot use a -I to
get the right machine/* includes because the path to them is
sys/.../include/*. There is some perverse and subtle irony to it.
:-)

If we are changing the upgrade procedure to "kernel then world", the
problem here is far greater than simply machine/ucontext.h.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"I always feel generous when I'm in the inner circle of a
conspiracy to subvert the world order and, with a small group of
allies, just defeated an alien invasion. Maybe I should value myself
a little more?"