Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 10:10:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, se@FreeBSD.ORG, mo@uu.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMBIOS/DMI etc

> > If I had to guess, it's probably because BIOS calls are Intel-centric.
>
> Fair enough.  How do other platforms (PReP, Alpha, etc) handle PCI
> autoconfig?  Does the BIOS on those platforms provide the same set
> of management primitives?

There is not necessarily ROM code for doing the autoconfiguration;
some of the Alpha boxes actually have an x86 emulation in software...
they use it for video card ROMs, and booting from disk controllers,
and so on.

For those that have no ROM whatsoever, and no x86 "Poor man's JAVA"
VM's, the boot devices are default configed, and the OS is expected
to do much of what Stefan's code does, using code much like his.  8-(.

> I would have assumed so, from my reading of PCI-spec-derived documents.
> (I don't have the "real thing", obviously)

Why not?  They are cheap... all specs go down in price to 10% of
their former cost days after I buy them.  It's a law of nature.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.