Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 11:27:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <wotan@sdf.lonestar.org>
To:        CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem in time.h?

--12583236-879014678-897841638=:18130

OK, I'm an idiot, just saw I didn't include the attachment, so here it is
on this one.
On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, Jonathan Fosburgh wrote:

> > Jonathan Fosburgh wrote:
> > > I recently built the plplot port. I won't go into the myriad tcl problems,
> > > which I will try to figure out later, but several of the files complained
> > > about /usr/include/time.h. The error was that there was a syntax error
> > > before char on line 145. The line begins "const char ..." I commented this
> > > out and it worked fine. Anyone know what is up? First time I have
> > > encountered this problem over roughly 9 months of using FreeBSD. I am
> > > running 2.2.6.
> > >

> > Gee,
> >
> > [root@lucy /root]# uname -a
> > FreeBSD lucy.loco.net 2.2.6-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE #5: Wed Jun 10 21:33:45 EDT 1998     root@castor.loco.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/LUCY  i386
> > [root@lucy /root]# wc /usr/include/time.h
> >      123     660    4363 /usr/include/time.h
> > [root@lucy /root]#
> >
> > Hmm.
> >
> > [root@lucy /root]# grep -2 -n "^const char" /usr/include/time.h
> > 113-
> > 114-#if !defined(_ANSI_SOURCE) && !defined(_POSIX_SOURCE)
> > 115:const char *strptime __P((const char *, const char *, struct tm *));
> > 116-char *timezone __P((int, int));
> > 117-void tzsetwall __P((void));
> > [root@lucy /root]#
> >
> > Well, I've seen these errors (mysterious syntax errors) arise from
> > bad memory. Really.
> >
> > It helps if you say what the actual error message was.  See if it's
> > repeatable, too.
> >
> > Consider the possibility that the /error might be in the application/
> > rather than in an extremely well-exercised header file. (Like my
> > recent errorless make world :)
> >
> > My rough hipshot is that the app is declaring strptime as
> > 	extern char *strptime....
> >
> > I.e. missing the const, probably in some config.h kind of file.
> >
> > That would be a /bad app/, report it to the port owner, if this is
> > the case.
>
> The output from make for this file the made the original include is
> attached. In order to activate this file, I had to add the directories
> /usr/local/include/tcl8.0 and /usr/local/include/tk8.0 to the configure
> script, a change not in the patches (I'll submit this to the port's
> maintainer once I figure out what is with the next problem), where it
> looks for tcl.h and tk.h, respectively. Also, there are sections where it
> looks for libtcl and tibtk, files which I do not have and substitutes for
> which I cannot find. These I had to enable manually. If you need to see
> anymore I will make them available.

--12583236-879014678-897841638=:18130
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--12583236-879014678-897841638=:18130--