Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 1996 15:34:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      John D Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu>
To:        Shane Cribbs <ccribbs@bulloch.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please Help!

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Shane Cribbs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very interested in using FreeBSD.  I have tried to install it over
> FTP and can't get it to work.  Here's the situation.
>
> I get to where I am supposed to connect to my internet provider and I
> get the prompt "PPP on ccribbs>".  I typed "term", but then all I could
> do was exit.  I have a modem that uses AT commands.  What do I need to
> type to connect to my provider?  Please!
>
> Shane Cribbs
> ccribbs@goldstag.com

FreeBSD-stable's install program is somewhat broken on that respect,
in that it asks you which port you need to use and it does not bother
setting it for iijppp. I have no idea why it does this, but if you want
to use a device other than /dev/cuaa0 (viz. /dev/cuaa1) use
	set device /dev/cuaa1
and then
	set speed x
and then you have to manually atdt and all that. With a 16550A UART you
are able to use speeds of up to 115200, but the 16450 only supports 19200,
so remember to check the boot-messages as it starts.

if your modem requires a setup string (mine doesn't) you might want to
write it down off of your dos prog.

I hope you enjoy FreeBSD.
-jd

jddst19+@pitt.edu   John Duncan
		    Freshman, University of Pittsburgh

"I'm not a doctor, but I ate one at the UPMC..."