Date:      Tue, 30 May 2006 09:53:44 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        "Iantcho Vassilev" <ianchov@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: geli resilience to power outages

On Mon, 29 May 2006 16:31:38 +0000
"Iantcho Vassilev" <ianchov@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/29/06, Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 29 May 2006 14:43:46 +0300
> > "Iantcho Vassilev" <ianchov@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > DO someone know if and how GELI is resilience to power outages?
> > >
> > > Does the box is still encrypted? After reboot what would happen to fcsk?
> >
> > Hi Iantcho ,
> > I dont know for a fact the effect with a power outage, but I use it quite
> > a lot
> > on laptops (which a) freeze sometimes out of nowhere , and b) sometimes
> > dont
> > resume properly,).  In both situations,  I've usually had geli mounted
> > disks (1
> > x 6 GB, 1 x 500 MB) running when the events happened. ( as well as a 4 GB
> > swap
> > which is also GELI backed)
> >
> > They (touch wood) haven't suffered data loss. /usr and /var seem be more
> > affected by this ungraceful shutdowns than the .eli devices.
> >
> > I suppose it's all cool thanks to soft-updates, and the fact that GELI
> > encrypts
> > on a per block basis (yeah, no more pgp-busted disks like in Windows :) ).
> >
> > good luck,
> > Beto
>

> Thanks for the input,Beto..
>
> As i didn`t read the GELI "workbook"
definitely read man geli , man geom_geli, and the handbook section...and play
with it until you feel comfortable with it.

> can you tell be can i convert existing
> partition in GELI or i should repartition?

depends what you want to do. If you want to create a file-backed GELI encrypted
file (similar to a PGP Disk in Windows), then you dont need to touch your
partitions at all - simply create the file.

If you want to have, for example, /usr encrypted, then you need, /dev/ad0s1f.eli
instead of . /dev/ad0s1f - you dont believe you need to repartition, but you'll
need to wipe all the data and to encrypt the device.

Read the docs.
Beto