Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2019 18:08:43 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Adriaan de Groot <adridg@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vim - GTK2 or GTK3?

Adriaan de Groot wrote on 2019/01/03 14:28:
> Niclas wrote:
>
> On Thursday, 3 January 2019 13:00:02 CET freebsd-ports-request@freebsd.org
> wrote:
>>> Firefox and Chromium both depend on GTK3, so it's highly likely that a
>>> typical desktop user has GTK3 installed.
>>
>> +1, GTK3 is probably the best choice.
>>
>> As a side note, it looks like libreoffice defaults to GTK2 as well,
>> perhaps it should be switched to GTK3 also?
>
> As a not-really-GTK-using person, I still have both GTK2 and GTK3 installed on
> my system running KDE Plasma. Not for vim though:
>
> Installed packages to be REMOVED:
>          gtk2-2.24.32
>          fontforge-20170731
>          mftrace-1.2.18_1
>
> Installed packages to be REMOVED:
>          gtk3-3.22.30_4
>          gpsd-3.17
>
> I'm a fan of pushing for toolkit migration, so reducing the number of things
> that pull in GTK2 is a good thing.
>

> So if we're expressing hopes that ports might be made GTK2-free (by porting to
> GTK3 for instance) then I'd hope that fontforge gets that treatment, too. From
> looking at the source repo, I don't think the GTK2 option actually works (and
> the comments suggest it's not all that good anyway). In the configure.ac it
> looks like there are spelling-inconsistencies between
> 	fontforge_can_use_gtk=yes
> and, e.g,,
> 	FONTFORGE_ARG_ENABLE_GDK
>
> (mtrace depends on fontforge, so fixing fontforge would clean GTK2 off my
> system)

It is not so simple. What works for you doesn't work for somebody else.
I am running KDE4 with QT4 but some applications use GTK2 as the only
option or I set them to use GTK2 because GTK2 has better theme
integration to KDE4 / QT style than GTK3 (in my personal case).
And, for example, Total Commander has two choices - QT or GTK2. I tried
it to build with QT but it failed so I switched to GTK2 and it builds fine.
So in my current situation I am glad we have GTK2 and GTK3 and all my
applications are working (better with GTK2 than GTK3). And having both
GTK versions installed is not a big problem. Their size is relatively
small compared to apps like browsers, libreoffice etc.

Miroslav Lachman