Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 21:50:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Stephen Cravey <cravey@gotbrains.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/41328: ssh logins in 4.6.1 no longer give incoming mail status

The following reply was made to PR misc/41328; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Stephen Cravey <cravey@gotbrains.org>
To: "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc: <FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject: Re: misc/41328: ssh logins in 4.6.1 no longer give incoming mail
 status
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 23:42:33 -0500 (CDT)

 As a (temporary?) workaround, I've turned your patch into a standalone
 program that can be run on login. (I'm lazy.) This can be run from the
 .login (t/csh users) or some other way for other shells. Yes there's a
 compiler warning. If someone would like to fix it, I suppose they should
 feel free. Otherwise it works fine.

 I don't want to get deeplyinto the politics of this, but at a minimum,
 this change (and/or official position why it won't be fixed) should
 probably be reflected in the next release notes for freebsd in the openssh
 section. I realize we haven't really had release notes for 4.6.x yet.

 Compilation and installation is left as an exercise for the reader.

 -Stephen

 #include <stdio.h>
 #include <sys/types.h>
 #include <sys/stat.h>

 int main(void)
 {
   char *mailbox;
   struct stat mailstat;
   mailbox = getenv("MAIL");
   if (mailbox != NULL) {
     if (stat(mailbox, &mailstat) != 0 || mailstat.st_size == 0);
     else if (mailstat.st_mtime < mailstat.st_atime)
       printf("You have mail.\n");
     else
       printf("You have new mail.\n");
   }