Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 10:25:11 +0200
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        Martin Dieringer <dieringe@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfs problems

Hi.

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 09:55:40AM +0200, Martin Dieringer wrote:
> when I suspend my laptop, sometimes nfs loses contact, which means, the
> network is going down, and after reconnecting (with ping and everything
> working) I get "...: nfs server not responding". I try umount (-f) but
> this never returns. the same with df. I killed everything from nfsiod to
> mountd, portmap and rpc.statd, but umount stays running with state D+.
> Last resort is to reboot, but not even this comes to an end. After the
> message "syncing discs" I press the reset button because it won't reboot,
> but when restarting, "/ was not properly dismounted" and I have to go
> through endless fsck-ing.
>
> Is this a feature or a bug? Or do I have to solve this problem on the
> server? both client laptop and server are running 4.1-STABLE

As though I don't exactly why NFS won't come up after suspending, I would
suggest, you use option "soft" when mounting the NFS drive, this might
help you in a way that it won't block lot's of the system when there is no
access to your NFS server for whatever reasons. You might even play with
other options you find in mount_nfs(8), especially the -T (ot tcp) option
might even help or option "-i".

Keep on trying... Oliver

PS: As I (have to) use an USB Network Adapter and my USB refuses to work
completely after a suspend on my notebook (Sony Vaio 505SN) I cannot
actually try any of the above by myself, sorry.

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | http://www.obh.snafu.de/~ob/ |