Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 00:55:04 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Chirag Kantharia <chyrag@cse.iitb.ernet.in>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kde

Chirag Kantharia wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 03:06:00PM +0200, Christoph Sold wrote:
> | Robert wrote:
> | > Is there an tutorial on getting KDE to run on FreeBSD?
> | Install from the ports. Worked flawlessly for me, including kdm.
>                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Are you starting kdm from /etc/ttys? If so, could you list the entry?
> My /etc/ttys looks like this and kdm cribs about extra argument ttyv4
> and exits:
>
> ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure

Hi Chirag,

you almost got it. It has to be:

ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on secure

So init will start your kdm. If you prefer the original line using xdm,
you have to alter
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession
I did there

#       exec xsm
#       PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
        /usr/local/bin/startkde

The path was set already somewhere else, so I commented it out. Maybe it
is necessary for you.

If you just want startx to launch kde from the command line, you have to
alter
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc
I did there
#twm &
#xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
#xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
#xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
#exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login
exec /usr/local/bin/startkde

BTW, I like the port of KDE being installed under /usr/local/bin
compared to many Linux-Installations under /opt. You always have to care
for paths there.

Ciao
Siegbert