Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 16:43:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Matthias.Apitz@SOFTCON.de (Matthias Apitz)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        hlwong@asiapac.net, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Notebook and FreeBSD

Doug White wrote:

    I'm moving this over to -mobile.

    On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Wong Horn Lim wrote:

    >  I need some advice on buying a new notebook and
    > install FreeBSD 2.2.6-Release, I need to know
    > the model for ThinkPad,Digital and Toshiba
    > that can install FreeBsd, and run X-windows for
    > FreeBSD, network card model and modem (PCMCIA)

    PCCARD is in a severe state of flux since the CardBus chips in modern
    laptops are not backwards-compatible to the existing code.

    For the record, I have a Digital HiNote 575 (which is out of production)
    that runs FreeBSD great save for the pccard slots.  Toshibas have been
    getting quite proprietary and may not work; ThinkPads have nutty keyboards
    that may require sc0 flags but otherwise appear to work.

I think someone should start with a survey or database of known
working notebook configurations. Here is what I have:

FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE
CPU: Pentium (200.46-MHz 586-class CPU)
real memory  = 33554432 (32768K bytes)
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 <Intel 82439TX PCI cache memory controller> rev 1 on pci0:0:0
chip1 <Intel 82371AB PCI-ISA bridge> rev 1 on pci0:1:0
chip2 <Intel 82371AB IDE interface> rev 1 on pci0:1:1
chip3 <Intel 82371AB USB interface> rev 1 int d irq 10 on pci0:1:2
chip4 <Intel 82371AB Power management controller> rev 1 on pci0:1:3
vga0 <VGA-compatible display device> rev 211 int a irq ?? on pci0:2:0
pcic0 <O2Micro OZ6832 CardBus bridge> rev 2 int a irq 9 on pci0:3:0
pcic1 <O2Micro OZ6832 CardBus bridge> rev 2 int b irq 9 on pci0:3:1
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <HITACHI_DK226A-32U>
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <SR200S/k02A>, removable, intr, dma, iordis

this works fine with FreeBSD and PCMCIA cards for Ethernet (3c589D),
ISDN (AVM Fritz!Card) and SCSI (Adaptec 1460B)

	matthias
--
firm: matthias.apitz@sisis.de [voc:+49 89 61308 351, fax: +49 89 61308 188]
priv: guru@thias.muc.de

"We don't care.  We don't have to.  You'll buy whatever we ship, so why bother?
 We're Microsoft."