Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:45:46 +0200
From:      Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
To:        Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 09:22:05AM -0500, Bruce Albrecht wrote:
> I know this is not -current related, but then, neither is the thread
> on hub.freebsd.org refusing DUL origin messages.
>
> I have a DSL line with static IP, and all my FreeBSD mailing lists are
> sent to bruce@zuhause.mn.org.  There are two DNS MX records for
> zuhause.mn.org, one at preference 100 with my IP address, and a second
> at preference 150 for the mn.org main mail server.  Even though my IP
> has a lower preference value, none of my FreeBSD mailing list mail come
> directly to my machine, it all passes through the minuet.skypoint.net.
> I get plenty of mail sent to zuhause.mn.org from other locations which
> talk directly to my machine, so why don't the FreeBSD mailing lists?

It's not allowed to use ip addresses in MX records, only hostnames, and
postfix doesn't accept the ip address, sendmail does.

jesper@freesbee$ host -t mx zuhause.mn.org
zuhause.mn.org mail is handled (pri=100) by 205.215.217.178
zuhause.mn.org mail is handled (pri=150) by minuet.skypoint.net

So change it to

zuhause.mn.org.	IN	A		205.215.217.178
				IN	MX 100	zuhause.mn.org.
				IN	MX 150	minuet.skypoint.net.

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver (JS4261-RIPE), Network manager
Tele Danmark DataNet, IP section (AS3292)