Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 02:29:32 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        vikram sahasrabudhe <vikramthegreatest@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xfree86 4.2.0 and Intel 810 Chipset

* vikram sahasrabudhe (vikramthegreatest@hotmail.com) [020225 02:00]:
> Dear Sir/madam,
> I have a Intel 810 Chipset and Xfree86 3.3.6 doesn't support it , So i downloaded the Xfree86 4.2.0 as it supports the I810 Graphics Chipset but the thing is that when i configure the Xwindow System with xf86config It shows me Intel810 chipset in the list of supported chipsets but it shows as a null chipset in the side and my startX doesn't work what might be the problem ? well When i searched on the net i got many pages saying that u need a agpgart.o kernel module for that I also Have Red Hat Linux 7.0 and it has the module but FreeBSD 4.4-Release doesn't have it I think . What should I do ?

Vikram,

The program 'xf86config' should be depricated in 4.x versions of X. Instead, the
preferred method is running 'XFree86 -configure'. This will run a series of
tests for a moment and create a configuration file in your current directory.
You can find further instructions on this method by reading the following
from the FreeBSD Handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

The Table of Contents for the entire X Window System chapter are at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html

When in doubt, consult the handbook! Good luck.

--
Benjamin Krueger

"From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I
was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it."
- Groucho Marx