Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:27:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: Very interesting benchmarking results...

I thought hardware raid was supposed to be much better.  These graphs show
this raid card as a fractional performer.  The difference is so staggering
I had to double check that your graphs were referenced to zero to make
sure you hadn't played any graphing tricks.

Aside from the better numbers that vinum produces, I am surprised that the
raid card performance remained flat for an increased number of processes.
I am no expert, but that looks like something just ain't right with the
card.  Shouldn't throughput approach the aggregate throughput of the SCSI
channel(s)?

Does this manufacturer just suck or is the superiority of hardware raid a myth?

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells