Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:37:30 +0100
From:      Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
Cc:        Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS problem found - pleaes try this patch.

On Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 01:01:34PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
[...]
> > But there's still something wrong: When shutting down the server
> > it still sometimes panics in vinvalbuf() complaining 'bout dirty
> > pages.
>
> I'm not sure this has anything to do with NFS. I got this after last
> night's fresh world and kernel install. The vinvalbuf message occured
> after the ``syncing disks ...done'' message but before the ``Rebooting''
> message and.

Then why is the panic on the server triggered by the vi SEGV?
No vi SEGV -> server goes down normally;
vi SEGV -> server panics on shutdown.

> However, I cannot reproduce the message since that reboot, with or
> without NFS activity.

It is somewhat tricky. There's actually only one file I've got that
causes vi to SEGV (and the server to panic on shutdown). I'll
have to look into vi source to find out how the vi.recover file
is created. Maybe some locking is involvled, too.

  Bjoern

--
(sig_t*)NULL