Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 20:45:44 -0400 (EST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DPT Hangs at Boot (Especially with 2.2.7)

[ To those who do not know;  I am the orignal author and the maintainer of
  the DPT drivers for FreeBSD ]

Recently I have been receiving a rather constant stream of complaints that
sound more or less like:

    When running DPT PM3334 (mainly) on FreeBSD 2.2.7 (almost always) I run
    into the problem where the system simply hangs during boot, or during
    fsck, or when switching from single-user to multi-user.  The system also
    tends to hang when the system installation creates new file-systems
    during fresh installation.  When the system freezes, diagnostic LED 1
    is either permanently ON, or slowly blinking.

    The motherboard I have is ASUS model ____ (almost always and has a
    300MHz (or faster) Pentium-II.  The motherboard uses the Intel BX
    chipset (almost without exception).  The DPT runs firmware version 7M0.

    Another thing that happens to me is that the file-system creation
    crashes when using a very large ``disk'' (array) and creating huge (over
    4GB) file-systems.

If the above sounds familiar, read on.

Analysis (which was partially funded by some good souls with horrible
problems of this nature) shows the following:

a.  The huge file-system newfs crash is probably not directly DPT related;
    The DPT controller simply makes it easy to come up with a 20-100GB
    ``disk''.  This is a known (to me, at least) problem in FreeBSD-2.x.y.
    It appears as something in the sysinstall code (I admit to have no clue
    what/where) assumes that file-system sizes (in bytes) are expressed as
    32bit integers.  This is obviously not good enough for file-systems
    larger than 4GB.

    The solution here is to simply avoid creating any file-system ,during
    fresh install!) larger than 1-2GB.  The problem does not seem to
    inflict normal fdisk/disklabel/newfs.

b.  Replace firmware 7M0 with 7Li.  You can find 7Li in my ftp server:
    ftp://simon-shapiro.org/crash/fw/476d07li.fwi.  This will improve
    things.  It appears as if 7M0 is a bit confusable with the data rate
    that FreeBSD can send its way.  This is less critical with 3.0+CAM, but
    very noticeable with 2.2.7.

c.  Move the DPT card to another slot.  Move the video card to another
    slot.  If you have multiple DPTs, swap between them.  This seems to
    cure or greatly improve things.  It cam also make things go real bad.  I
    have a test system (sent to me by a ``customer'') that I can routinely
    cause to hang during POST (way before FreeBSD is loaded in any was shape
    or form) by simply plugging the DPT to the slot closest to the CPU.

d.  Upgrade to 3.0.  It seems 2.2.7 does something funny (or does not do
    something important?) during shutdown.  This is evidenced by the
    difference in behavior between power-up and reboot.  Pushing the reset
    button produces results that are somewhere between power-up and
    all-software reboot.

Folks,  I am sorry I can only give you work around solutions (and not
perfect ones!) and cannot give you a correction.  Be assured I am working
with the factory people to isolate and narrow-down the problem.

BTW, I am not a regular reader of -questions, so please drop me a line if
you think I can help...

Sincerely Yours,                 Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG
                                             770.265.7340
Simon Shapiro

Unwritten code has no bugs and executes at twice the speed of mouth