Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 1996 11:17:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mark Ovens <100104.10@CompuServe.COM>
Cc:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CD-ROM's & FreeBSD 2.1.0

On 8 Jul 1996, Mark Ovens wrote:

> I have just bought FreeBSD 2.1.0 and I am having problems installing it as I
> have an ATAPI CD-ROM, a Mitsumi FX400 (although all OS's & diagnostics programs
> report it as being a FX001DE).
> 	If I use ATAPI.FLP then the 2nd IDE channel is found by the probe (wdc1
> found @ 0x170-0x177 irq15) but when I select CD-ROM as the install media I get
> the message "No CD-ROM found".

Did you put the CD in before booting up?

> 	Is there a workround,patch, or updated Kernel which improves ATAPI
> support, which the README's describe as "Alpha quality"?

2.1.5-RELEASE...  :-)  It'll be out Real Soon Now and should (had better
be) be higher quality.

> 	Whilst I have 480Mb of free disk space only 170Mb is within the 1024
> cylinder limit imposed by the BIOS for bootable partitions (I can't use the Disk
> Manager software supplied with the disk drive, WD Caviar 850Mb, as it is not
> compatible with OS/2 Warp which is also on the disk), so I am restricted to
> 170Mb for both a DOS partition to install from and the BSD target partition. I
> would expect BSD to be able to access the whole 480Mb so I guess I could install
> a basic system and then add the rest into another partition in the remaining
> space but I feel that it would be a bit messy & time consuming to do.

It would be better to make a separate slice for the root partition.  Then
you can ensure the system will boot it.  (Your root won't be more than
50mb, so it should easily fit in the remaining space.)