Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2003 07:13:23 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: screen power saving question

--n83H03bbH672hrlY

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 10:02:41PM -0500, David Banning wrote:
> I am having a problem where my monitor shuts down into power saving
> mode, and does not always come back up when I hit the keyboard
> or move the mouse.
>=20
> I am running FreeBSD 4.7 with XFree86 4.3 and xfce window manager.
> My question is;
>=20
> What gives the the command to the monitor to go into power saving mode?
> Is it my bios? Does XFree86 monitor the use of the keyboard/mouse?
> Is is the window manager/xfce?
> Or maybe it's even FreeBSD itself?

Two things in X which control monitor power savings are:  DPMS and the
screensaver.  You can set and check both of these with the command
`xset`.  Do an `xset q` to view your current settings and also take a
look at xset's man page.  To set the screen to blank at after 10 minutes
I would issue `xset s 600`.  `xset dpms 900 1800 3600` would set the
monitor to 'standby' after 15 minutes -> to 'suspend' after 30 minutes
-> 'off' after 45 minutes.

Nathan

--=20
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C
http://63.105.21.156/gpg_nkinkade_4250A04C.asc

--n83H03bbH672hrlY

--n83H03bbH672hrlY--