Date:      Sun, 19 May 1996 12:49:29 -0700
From:      "Scott Overholser (Volt Computer) (Exchange)" <a-scotov@exchange.microsoft.com>
To:        "'Scott Overholser'" <scotto@remuda.com>, "'Doug Wellington'" <doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: sendmail read errors/timeouts etc.

good questions...i didn't include this info in the mail since it was
pretty wordy already and the system is a stock freebsd system - no
surprises.

the sendmail version is 8.6.12.  i didn't keep my sendmail.cf from
before.  the sendmail.cf i'm using is the one that is installed with the
stock system with the only change being the addition of "remuda.com" to
the Cw line.  the timeouts i set are all either 1 hour (for stuff like
mail, and quit) and 2 hours for rcpt and data.  the defaults are usually
about 10 minutes.  the gateway is very lightly loaded.  also, telnet to
port 25 of the problem sites works just fine.

one more detail that i should have mentioned before.  the sites that i
have trouble with don't seem to have anything in common.  the microsoft
folks are obviously running ms exchange with the smtp gateway on winders
nt.  i think the nintendo site is linux and it's running smap.  i don't
have a clue what msn is using but gonna guess that winders nt is
involved.

i'd like to reiterate that the problems are 100% reproducable with the
sites i'm having trouble with while mail to everyone else works just
fine.

i did some testing with another freebsd box (stock install again) and
the sites that are causing problems for my box don't affect it (i built
both, both are on different net connections).  i stole it's sendmail.cf
but it didn't help.

i'm gonna rebuild and see if that helps.  i'll post results to the
lists.

scotto