Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 07:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/21476: ftp in 4.1-STABLE fails on http:// URLs

The following reply was made to PR bin/21476; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To: Ruslan Ermilov <ru@sunbay.com>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: 25 Sep 2000 16:23:08 +0200

 Ruslan Ermilov <ru@sunbay.com> writes:
 > Forgive me my ignorance but from where of the above it does follow that
 > the HTTP/1.0 request should include the Host: header and not having it
 > there should be answered with a 404 reply?  For example,

 Read section 19.6.1.1 of RFC2616. Pay special attention to the part
 that says "including updates to existing HTTP/1.0 applications" and
 the part that says "Both clients and servers MUST support the Host
 request-header".

 Or just forget the RFC and consider that if ftp(1) does not send a
 Host: header, it simply will not work with the thousands if not
 millions of web sites out there that are actually virtual hosts.

 Regarding the fact that not sending a Host: header sometimes works,
 and sometimes doesn't, even on servers that host a single site - this
 is a consequence of Apache striving to be backwards compatible wrt the
 format of its configuration file (to be more specific, there are two
 different ways to configure a single-site server, and one of them
 causes requests without a Host: header to fail)

 Regarding what you call "fetch(1) propaganda", consider that these and
 other issues that ftp(1) has trouble with have already been addresses
 - a long time ago! - in libfetch, and that whoever maintains ftp(1)
 will now have to solve these problems *again*, in a different code
 base, for no added gain. Do one thing and do it well! Ftp(1) is very
 good at interactive or scripted FTP sessions, but sucks at HTTP. Fetch
 (or rather libfetch) is (or strives to be) very good at simple FTP and
 HTTP requests, but does not try to support interactive or otherwise
 complicated FTP sessions.

 BTW, if you want a list of things libfetch's HTTP code supports but
 ftp(1) doen't, here goes:

   - virtual hosts (which is vital these days!)
   - authentication (including proxy authentication)
   - redirects (including redirects to FTP documents)
   - partial fetches
   - chunked encoding

 Need I go on?

 DES