Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 21:35:46 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error on Boot : "Error: C:0 H:0 S:0"

Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> > When booting off of /dev/wd1, the boot process stops right after the first
> > prompt, and scrolls this error repeatedly up the screen.  If I enter
> > "wd(1,a)kernel" at the first prompt, the machine boots perfectly.
>
> Somehow the boot loader can't find the disk or the kernel.  What is the
> slice layout on that disk?  It may be out of range.

     Assuming that the error message in the subject is accurate, the
loader's trying to load the very first sector on the disk (the initial
boot sector with the fdisk/slice info).  Unfortunately, it seems to be
failing (and the code keeps on trying and trying, which is why the error
message appears again and again).  I don't know why it's doing this,
unless the disk is bad (which seems unlikely, as it's possible to boot
from wd(1,a)kernel -- maybe the wrong disk is being used?).

[ Side note: sector numbers reported by the above error message start
  with zero, but BIOS sector numbering starts with 1.  See
  /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot/disk.c for where the error is
  occurring. ]

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.