Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 22:11:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jb@cimlogic.com.au, bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make world problem

> > Why is the makefile depending on -o?
>
> So that it can choose the output file name like other utilities (such as
> ld).
>
> > It makes much more sense to use the -b; at least that way, the
> > generated file is fairly recognizable as being the output of yacc.
>
> I'll let you argue this with Bruce. 8-)

No thanks; I already argued it with the official maintainer of Berkeley
Yacc after I made -p actually work by escaping the entire namespace into
a struct to make the output code C++ and thread safe.

> I don't understand what building FreeBSD sources with FreeBSD tools has
> to do with obtaining code from the 'net.
>
> If there is an issue here, I think it is that yacc is not built early
> in a make world line make itself is. A second issue is that the make
> world should check the kernel version so that a build on 2.2.5, for
> example, can build the extra tools early on without penalizing everyone
> with later systems.

You mean... actually implement the dependencies make is capable of
supporting?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---