Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:40:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Paul Stewart <pstewart@kawartha.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Tracking Machine Bandwidth

HI there.. we have a customer who is co-locating with us.  So, to track
the bandwidth we bought an HP 24M Managed Hub which HP told us would allow
us basic tracking of how much GB goes to their machine.... wrong!  We
talked and talked to their tech people and they said nope, won't do it..
only their switches will....

So, we decided fine they can go onto a Cisco Catalyst switch which should
allow us to track them... small problem... management won't let us spend
more money on stuff right now til next year.... blah blah blah..

I would like to just pop an additional network card into a machine here
and then track their usage via FreeBSD.

Is there any tricks to this?
Do they have to be subnetted off our main LAN in order for the routing to
work or can we just route one IP to them using simple route statements?
By default, our Cisco routers dump all LAN traffic to our .2 box which
then automatically sends to whomever is broadcasting for that IP... can a
FreeBSD box broadcast for itself and a routed IP without a lot of
configuration therefore making the routing easy?

Have I totally confused this matter? ;)

Thanks,

Paul