Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 16:00:51 -0600
From:      Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Reorganizing entities in doc/.

   As I worked on the mailing-lists.ent move, a thought occured
to me--how far should I go?  There are other language-specific
general entities that are mostly lumped into the Handbook.  There
are language-specific authors.ent files to overload the stock
authors.ent from the Handbook, there's newsgroups.ent files, and
of course mailing-lists.ent.

   I propose the following reorganization:

doc/
  share/
    sgml/
      authors.ent - English author names
      freebsd.ent - Defines &rel.current at this point in the
                    concept
      newsgroups.ent - Defines the one FreeBSD newsgroup[1]
  en_US.ISO_8859-1/
    share/
      sgml/
        mailing-lists.ent - English mailing lists
  ja_JP.eucJP/
    share/
      sgml/
        authors.ent - Overloads English names with eucJP encoded
                      names for Japanese committers.
        newsgroups.ent - Includes Japanese FreeBSD newsgroups, if
                         any.

   Any comments?  This will certainly lower the size of the
checked-out repository, and make it a good deal easier to work
with.

1: Currently the words "the" and "newsgroup" surround this
   <ulink> tag in various languages, and that's the only
   difference in the different versions of the file.  I propose
   that "the" and "newsgroup" move to the actual document, and
   the newsgroups.ent file go to doc/share/sgml/