Date:      Tue,  6 Jul 1999 12:56:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Anthony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        marcel@scc.nl
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RealPlayer G2 for Linux (6.0-0.99051701)

Quoth Marcel Moolenaar on Mon, 5 July:
: Anthony Kimball wrote:
: >
: > My experience using 4.0-current,
: >   device                pcm0 at isa? port? irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x13
: > and a full install of RedHat 5.2 as /compat/linux is that
:
: What exactly do you mean with "a full install of RH 5.2"?

I mean (approximately) that I have a disk partition with RH 5.2
installed on it which I mount as /compat/linux.

: > playback fails with a dialog:
: >   Some components are not available to provide playback...
:
: Is this emulation related, or is this because RP G2 is still alpha?

It seems to be emulation related.  I discovered that installing the
linux_lib port instead of mounting RH 5.2 resulted in a correctly
functioning audio playback -- although I can't play midi files using
the pcm driver. (Presumably G2 is trying to use the OSS FM interface.)

A different problem with video, however:  At 8bpp at least, the colors
are all wrong.  Does anyone know if there is a way to make the player
install its own colormap?