Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 10:25:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        <HP889@aol.com>
Cc:        <hackers@freebsd.org>, <isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 3Com driver problems

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 HP889@aol.com wrote:

> We dont sell ethernet drivers, and Im not trying to "hide". Why does linux
> have specific code to disable the stats under load if Im making this up? Why
> can you lock up a FreeBSD 4.4 system with a 3com card at 20Kpps due to
> counter overflow interrupts in about 3 seconds?

Well, I'm unable to lock up my -current box with a 3c905-tx (non-B or C).
However, I can see the delay (apparently) caused by the stat collection
routine, which was previously mentioned in the message

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=12982+0+archive/2001/freebsd-net/20010114.freebsd-net

Interestingly enough, the delay seems to grow as I run the test longer and
longer.  (My test is ping -s 1400 -i .001 boxwithxlnic.)  The delay seems
to be able to grow to as much as 12 ms, though it's typically less, around
5 ms or so.  If I switch back to the dc interface, I see no delayed
packets.

I see the hack you refer to in the 3c59x.c driver; I also notice that
3com's official driver (3c90x.c) doesn't contain such a workaround.  They
must be doing something subtly different which avoids the problem.

I have a few ideas, I'll try them out next week and see what I can come up
with.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack