Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 22:01:14 -0700
From:      "Don O'Neil" <don@whtech.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Mystery w/ UDMA/66 WD/IBM Drives Solved

For those who care.... I finally figured out how to make the IBM and
subsequently the WD 18 GB UDMA Drive boot with Free BSD (They are the same
drive, WD OEM's them to IBM)....

Originally I couldn't even get the drive to boot dos.. I was doing the old
standby of fdisk/format... that won't work. After (just becuase I was trying
everythin) running their diagnostic tool and formatting the
drive/partitioning it with their disk manager, I got it to boot into DOS...
so I tried re-partitioning it "dangerously dedicated" with free bsd, and
viola! It worked!

I'm amazed that any drive company could ship a drive that won't install a
standard OS like DOS without some special tool being run. Evidently their DM
does something to the boot sector to make it boot correctly. Weird. When I
tried the standard methods (before their tool) I would just get a message
that the disk was not readable, there was no kernel or no boot loader.

Maybe this should be added to the FAQ or some other docs so that when other
people buy these new UDMA/66 Drives from IBM or Western Digital they don't
spend 5 days trying to figure it out... Neither WD's or IBM's tech support
helped at all, they didn't know what the f*** they were doing.

Don