Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 1999 10:59:52 -0700
From:      Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
To:        Oscar Urquidy <osc20@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: difference between freebsd & linux

Oscar Urquidy wrote:
> What i found too, is that most of the people using FreeBSD, are network
> administrators, webmasters, and things realted to use the FreeBSD as a
> server, on serius jobs. So what about FreeBSD workstation?

I'm running:

A FreeBSD Server for MP3/QuakeWorld/Quake2/Half-Life - all on a P150 I
haven't had it die yet.  (Quake2 died, but that we were really stressing
it out)

Two FreeBSD workstations - one is a Dell Latitude LM for email (so far),
the other is a home-built PII-350 that I run -current on (I really
shouldn't, but at the time my SCSI didn't work in the -release versions)
and I've run QuakeWorld, Q2, and others.  Next time I update I'll get
sound for games

> By now i'm installing FreeBSD on my home pc, and obviously planing to
> use it as "home pc", and i don't doubt about the capabilities of
> FreeBSD as a server, but i would really like to hear an opinion about
> FreeBSD as standalone system. I already browsed the package collection
> but haven't installed nothing yet (i'll get there soon). I saw some CAD
> software, lots of games!, and a lot of another stuff. At least i saw
> netscape so later i will post from FreeBSD.

Go for it.  I've got netscape working (waiting for Mozilla) and I love
it.

> So i would like to now if there is anybody there happy with his (or
> her) FreeBSD workstation.

Very.

--
Eric Hodel - hodeleri@seattleu.edu        | Customers will come to our
Aspiring programmer & FPS minor demi-god. | 'home page' in unbelievable