Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 10:26:12 -0500
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>
To:        "Sheldon Hearn" <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mandating USA_RESIDENT

Hi,

If we are changing the meaning of "USA_RESIDENT", could we replace it by
something else completely. I know that the USA are the center of the
universe ;-), but...

It seems to me that a things progress, the crypto regulation gets more
complicated everyday. Why not have a "CRYPTO_COUNTRY" variable that could be
set to "USA" "FRANCE" "CANADA" or "other" based where you live and weither
special consideration must be taken relative to the crypto code ?

Then as part of the build process, automatically create specific variables
for RSA or other stuff as they show up:

CRYPTO_RSA="RSAref" or CRYPTO_RSA="rsa" or CRYPTO_RSA="none". This can be
done by a little bit of shell script easily.

The other thing that could be set based on the CRYPTO_COUNTRY code is where
to get the FreeBSD crypto related source from.

Finally, the current "USA_RESIDENT" variable can then be generated
automatically and with good confidence that it is set to a correct value
(for the ports or source that still relies on that).

OK, it may be overkill for what we need now. So if it looks too much like a
bad idea, kill it now.

Patrick.