Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 07:39:20 -0500
From:      "Naga R Narayanaswamy" <nraju@mindspring.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Bridging and 'pseudo-device tap' and PPPoE

------=_NextPart_000_006C_01C19429.C1B1A7A0

Hello:

I want to create pseudo ethernet devices to simulate many NICs on=20
a PC. In Solaris, we can do "ifconfig hme0:1 10.1.1.1 up"
hme0:2 etc to create logival interfaces. I am trying to do a similar =
thing
on FreeBSD. But after searching the archives, I find that I have to use=20
tap device. Is there any other way than the approach I am using below.

I reconfigured the kernel and I have configured the tap device. =20
ifconfig tap0 shows a MAC address and UP status.
I assigned a IP address also.
I want to make fxp0 and tap0 in one bridge group.=20
I tried both approaches, using "option BRIDGE"
and ng_bridge example in /usr/share/examples.
Is bridging supposed to work with tap devices?

I do not see the bridging  happen between tap0 and fxp0.=20
I can see the packet written on tap device when I do a =20
"hexdump /dev/tap0", but not on fxp0 (using ethereal).=20
(I am doing a ping out of tap interface).
And when I have bridging turned on using ng_bridge,
if I initiate a PPPoE session, I get socket already connected
warning, but I do not see the PADI packet on the fxp0 interface
at all.

The goal is that I want to use tap0 device in ppp.conf
and initiate a ppp -ddial <service>=20
The goal is to have 100 tap devices and initiate
pppoe sessions over each of the tap sessions=20
to simulate a 100 NIC cards with different mac addresses.

Thanks
Naga

------=_NextPart_000_006C_01C19429.C1B1A7A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff><FONT size=3D2>
<DIV>Hello:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I want to create pseudo ethernet devices to simulate many NICs on =
</DIV>
<DIV>a PC. In Solaris, we can do "ifconfig hme0:1 10.1.1.1 up"</DIV>
<DIV>hme0:2 etc to create logival interfaces. I am trying to do a =
similar=20
thing</DIV>
<DIV>on FreeBSD. But after searching the archives, I find that I have to =
use=20
</DIV>
<DIV>tap device. Is there any other way than the approach I am using=20
below.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I reconfigured the kernel and I have configured the tap =
device.&nbsp;=20
</DIV>
<DIV>ifconfig tap0 shows a MAC address and UP status.</DIV>
<DIV>I assigned a IP address also.</DIV>
<DIV>I want to make fxp0 and tap0 in one bridge group. </DIV>
<DIV>I tried both approaches, using "option BRIDGE"</DIV>
<DIV>and ng_bridge example in /usr/share/examples.</DIV>
<DIV>Is bridging supposed to work with tap devices?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I do not see the bridging&nbsp; happen between tap0 and fxp0. =
</DIV>
<DIV>I can see the packet written on tap device when I do a&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>"hexdump /dev/tap0", but not on fxp0 (using ethereal). </DIV>
<DIV>(I am doing a ping out of tap interface).</DIV>
<DIV>And when I have bridging turned on using ng_bridge,</DIV>
<DIV>if I initiate a PPPoE session, I get socket already connected</DIV>
<DIV>warning, but I do not see the PADI packet on the fxp0 =
interface</DIV>
<DIV>at all.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>The goal is that I want to use tap0 device in ppp.conf</DIV>
<DIV>and initiate a ppp -ddial &lt;service&gt; </DIV>
<DIV>The goal is to have 100 tap devices and initiate</DIV>
<DIV>pppoe sessions over each of the tap sessions </DIV>
<DIV>to simulate a 100 NIC cards with different mac =
addresses.</DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks</DIV>
<DIV>Naga</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>