Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:41:18 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrade 3.5 to 4.x

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 05:50:55PM +0000, anak freebsd wrote:

> i want to upgrade my freebsd 3.5 to 4.x with cvsup RELENG_4 but i always
> fail when i run make buildworld.
> is there anyway that i can upgrade my box?

If you want to upgrade via buildworld, I'm afraid you're going to have
to do that large a jump in several stages:

    3.5 -> RELENG_3 (latest version of 3.x-STABLE, I think 3.5.1)

    RELENG_3 -> RELENG_4_0_0_RELEASE (4.0-RELEASE. (This update is
    fairly tricky, and you'll need to pay special attention to the
    notes in UPDATING))

    RELENG_4_0_0_RELEASE -> RELENG_4

You might even need to put in yet another step between 4.0-RELEASE and
4.x-STABLE.

On the other hand, it's probably going to be a lot easier and more
productive to back up all your important data and configuration
changes and then just install 4.7-RELEASE over your 3.5 machine, then
use cvsup to get to 4.7-STABLE, and restore or recreate the important
bits from your 3.5 system.

Note that which ever way you do the update, you're going to run into
various gotchas, like the change from DES to MD5 password hashes.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way