Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 1996 11:13:46 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        ANDRSN@HOOVER.STANFORD.EDU (Annelise Anderson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installation Problem

Annelise Anderson stands accused of saying:

> I installed (or I think I did) FreeBSD 2.1 from the cdrom, on a second
> SCSI hard drive.  OS2's boot manager (along with DOS/WIN 3.1) was on the
> first SCSI hd.

Argh.  There's a known (now) bug in the 2.1 sysinstall that may trash
the bootblock on the first disk when installing to the second.  You will
want to get a copy of the bootinst.exe and boot.bin files off the CD
and use bootinst to write boot.bin (the BootEasy bootmanager) to the
first disk.  You can replace booteasy at a later date with a 'standard'
MBR after this works.

> Would anyone know what "no rom basic" means and how I can fix this?

It means that the BIOS has searched for a bootable disk and not found one.
About fifteen years ago, the original PCs had BASIC in ROM (IBM and
close compactibles only) and if they had no boot disk, would start the
(braindead) ROM BASIC.  Less close compatibles would search for the BASIC
ROM and emit the above error message (in 40x25 text mode) if they
couldn't find it.  The existence of the message in this day and age is
either a joke on the part of the BIOS authors, or an attempt at "maximum"
compatability.

> Annelise

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[