Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:12:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, beckmann@mail.nacamar.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2 sources ?

> > I'm not familiar with cvsup's feature to get a particular CVS branch,
> > but i think you should be able to fetch a tree from the RELENG_2_2 tag
> > (that's the name of the beast).
>
> Yes, that will work.  There's a tutorial on how to do it in the FreeBSD
> handbook, section 17.2, at:
>
>   http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook.html
>
> See especially section 17.2.3.

I went through these docs the other day...

I believe the WWW server is *seriously* underutilized.

1)
An HTML page with a CGI-based script generator would be a big win,
since the options are not really self-documenting very well.  For
instance, knowing where things go, and what distributions to get.

2)
Another suggestion: a single DOS executable that, when run, will ask
for a blank disk, format it, and copy the boot disk out of its internal
data area, ask for another, and format it, and write out the second disk.

This would let you click a "make BSD install disks" button in any
browser that allowed ".exe" file types (ie: MS Internet Explorer 3.x)
and end up with disks, without dicking around with rawrite or the
other tons of excerment you have to play with now.

3)
How about definining a ".sh" file type in the default mailcap for
the FreeBSD install for NetScape or whatever, and setting up each
port as a button which generates a .sh for the port using a CGI
script... "click here to install this, click here to install that"
buttons for all ports and packages.  Use a CGI script to rotor, and/or
have the user select, a mirror site to get packages from.

etc. (other things along these lines should be obvious).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---