Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 21:09:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Tim Jensen <toast@sunshine.engr.arizona.edu>
To:        Mitch James <mitchj@hardware.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Correction:Fatal Trap 12: Page fault....

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Mitch James wrote:

> 	Fatal Trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> 	fault vertual address	=0x1c
> 	fault code		=supervisor read, page not present
> 	instruction pointer	=0x8:0xf01292d9
> 	code segment		=base 0x0, limit 0xfffff type 0x1b
> 				=DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> 	processor eflags	=interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
> 	current process		=137 (sysinstall)
> 	interrupt mask		=
> 	Panic:page fault
>
> I tried for a while to see if I could repeat, looking for a common behavior
> on my part, and got the same message while in /stand/sysintall. The
> two lines with different messages are below.  I've had this happen while
> doing other thing besides sysinstall. As varried as finger, shutdown, ppp
> etc. I've rebuilt the kernel several times, and tried to reload through
> sysinstall. I have not tried to delete all the directories to install from
> a bare disk.

This has happened to me on my P120. It turned out to be a bad SIMM. My
machine crashed at least 1 time every day, and that was with all memory
caches turned off.  Turned on, it crashed almost every 5 - 10 minutes.  I
replaced the bad memory and now its running fine.

Your problem might be caused by something completely different, but I just
thought I was mention my experience. Good luck.

---
Tim Jensen
http://plasma.engr.arizona.edu/~toast/

Q: How many surrealists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: Two.  One to hold the giraffe and the other to fill the
   bathtub with brightly colored machine tools.