Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 2010 17:23:53 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Jose Amengual M <jose.amengual@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Importing jails from 7.0, 7.2 to 8.0.

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 11:29:41 -0800 Jose Amengual M
<jose.amengual@gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is :
>
> Do I need to reinstall portupgrade and reinstall all ports ?
>
> Did I do the proper export and import process ?
>
> The jail where running on 7.0 and the basejail dir was from 7.0, now
> is from 8.0 and I understand that I have to do some reinstall or
> upgrade process but I think that I skipped some steps :).

The problem is that you didn't copy the basejail from 7.0. If you would
have copied it, the jails would be running just fine.

What you see now is that programs in the jails reference a library
which is in 7.0, but not in 8.0 (more detailed: the lib itself is
there, but with a different major version, and a different major
version means that there are incompatible differences).

A smooth transition would have been to use the 7.0 basejail, update it
with 8.0 (ezjail update + foreach jail a mergemaster -D /path/to/jailX),
rebuild all the ports in the jails, and then to run "cd /usr/src/ ; make
delete-old delete-old-libs DESTDIR=/path/to/basejail". After that you
need to check if all programs in the jails still work (you can install
the libchk port and let it search for missing libs and rebuild ports
which depend upon missing libs).

Bye,
Alexander.